
The Background.
It is the middle of April, and I am feeling the pull of spring, which, in my world, means sandwiches.I believe this recipe is from a back issue of Cooking Light, but I would not place any money on that bet.
The Story.
![]() |
| Beginning of date |
Heather and I met in an interview. I was interviewing her for a mentorship position (i.e. screening her for mental health) and asking her personal questions about potential addiction, sexual orientation, and suicidality. Not exactly first date material. But handy, in a way.
The way Heather tells it, she fell in love with me at first sight (despite the strangeness of our first interaction). She tells me that was "playing the field" at that point in her life, and that after meeting me she went back to her lab and told her labmate that she found the woman she was meant to be with. I figure that is pretty impressive for a hard scientist to make that sort of commitment to a hypothesis. I was (and still am) a bit more stubborn.
I had recently embarked on a hiking endeavor. About 4 times a week I was venturing out to the beautiful foothills of central PA. The last hike I had been on resulted in a serious shaming by an elderly couple. They told me to both get a hiking partner and a higher pair of shoes to protect myself from the elements and from snakes. The couple was right. I needed a hiking partner.
![]() |
| Middle of date |
And Heather was in my office.
I asked Heather (via email) to walk the Jackson Trail with me. She agreed and I picked her up to drive to the top of Tussey Ridge where she kept suggesting we stop to look at the beautiful vistas. I was thrilled to have a hiking partner, and frankly, I had a lot of nervous energy to burn, so I wanted to keep moving. Thank goodness Heather still helps me stop to appreciate the beauty all around.
I had invited Heather to come hiking with me, so of course I provided sandwiches. Heather says that a picnic makes it a date. Ok. It was a date. At least it was after the stars came out and the sandwiches were long gone.
The Recipe.
Balsamic turkey goat cheese sandwiches
Ingredients:
4 ounces Semisoft Goat CheeseFrench Bread
2.5 cups Sliced or shredded Cooked Turkey
3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
12 Basil Leaves
12 slices English Cucumber
Directions:
Cut a "V" in the bread, then layer the turkey in the bottom part of the bread. Crumple the goat cheese evenly over the turkey and place under the broiler for a few minutes. Drizzle the turkey with balsamic vinegar and top with basic, cucumber, and the top of the bread.
The Process.
![]() |
| I am so proud of the way this looks! |
If you have a good crusty baguette recipe (or tips in making big holes in crusty bread) please do share!



No comments:
Post a Comment