The Background.
I get bored easily. I am also amused easily, so I suppose it evens out in the end. These characteristics result in some interesting credentials, such as an email that says I am an ordained Reverend, a PhD in counselor education, and...the completion of bartending school.The Background.
The Story.
The Story.
![]() |
| Beading class |
![]() |
| Blooming Tea from tea class |
Namely, it provided me with bartending school. Through Groupon I was able to attend a 5 day course for half price at the ABC bartending school. I pricelined a cheap hotel and stayed in Columbus for 5 nights to learn how to tend bar. Yes. I got a hotel room for 5 days to learn how to mix drinks.
![]() |
| Bread baking class |
![]() |
| Floral arranging class |
I didn't really want to know how to make the drinks, I just wanted to learn how to order them. Yes. You read that correctly. I took a 5 day class to learn how to order a drink. It turns out that there is a lot of time for practicing mixology at bartending school. So I spent my time "ordering drinks" from the students who were practicing and and making index cards with recipes on them while they were mixing my drinks (errr...colored water). Since these were students they took a long time mixing, and as a result I ended up making a lot of recipe cards. I had to buy a second set of 100 index cards.
The result? Now I carry 3x5 cards in the car so that I have drink ideas. Sometimes I carry the cards into the restaurant.
![]() |
| Bartending class |
But good news! I have a new favorite drink (the Malibu mojito below) and we even came up with one in class that we were proud of (OK - the military man came up with it, but I was the one who added the graham cracker rim and told him he could use it as a pick up drink for pretty ladies).
I am also including a "recipe" for another mojito that I got a bit "creative" about. I recognize I just added one ingredient, but it means that I am getting more confident. That is exactly what I wanted.
The Recipes.
* Muddle 6-8 mint leaves with
* 1T sugar
* Add just of one lime and mix
* Fill glass with ice
* Add 3 oz Parrot Bay (or Malibu....)
* Top off with 2-3 oz of Sprite or 7-up.
Smore'tini
* Chill martini glass* mix 1.5 oz Godiva white chocolate liquer, * 1 oz vodka, and * 2.5 oz half and half in shaker with ice. * Shake. * Rim the martini glass with chocolate syrup, then* rim the syrup with graham cracker crumbs* Strain liquid into glass. Mio Mojito
* Add a squire of fruit punch of berry pomegranate Mio into a Malibu mojito.
The Process. These are drinks that I have tried as a result of the class and my index cards. Quite a number of these were tried at Samantha's graduation party where her elder female relatives were impressed with the drinks. They enjoyed my 3x5 cards and kept passing my drinks around. I had to keep ordering more as my drinks kept disappearing into the fists of aunties and step mothers. Those with an * are among my favorites. The Malibu mojito and gimlet are my favorites right now.
- *7&7
- Rum and coke
- Old Fashioned
- Bloody Maria (Bloody Mary with tequila instead of vodka)
- Red Snapper (Bloody Mary with gin instead of vodka)
- Greyhound
- *Salty Dog
- Harvey Wallbanger
- Tequila Sunrise
- Sea Breeze
- Bay Breeze
- Sex on the Beach
- Slow Screw
- Tootsi Roll
- Banshee/Gorilla Fart/Gorilla Tit
- Pink Squirrel
- B&B
- French Connection
- Dirty Mother
- **Gimlet
- *Vodka Gimlet
- Rootbeer Float
- Long Island Iced Tea
- *Mojito
- **Malibu Mojito
The Future.Pretty sure this is obvious: keep trying new drinks. As you can see from the list above, I have avoided the martinis and cream based drinks. It seems like I should make a move. :)
Unrelated side note: I am having terrible difficulty with the spacing in my posts. I left my last blog for a similar reason. The spacing does not have to do with the pictures (e.g. there are no pictures under the "The Process section, yet it is double spaced). Google searches have not been helpful. If you know of any solutions please let me know.
The Recipes.
* Muddle 6-8 mint leaves with
* 1T sugar
* Add just of one lime and mix
* Fill glass with ice
* Add 3 oz Parrot Bay (or Malibu....)
* Top off with 2-3 oz of Sprite or 7-up.
* 1T sugar
* Add just of one lime and mix
* Fill glass with ice
* Add 3 oz Parrot Bay (or Malibu....)
* Top off with 2-3 oz of Sprite or 7-up.
Smore'tini
* Chill martini glass
* mix 1.5 oz Godiva white chocolate liquer,
* 1 oz vodka, and
* 2.5 oz half and half in shaker with ice.
* Shake.
* Rim the martini glass with chocolate syrup, then
* rim the syrup with graham cracker crumbs
* Strain liquid into glass.
Mio Mojito
* Add a squire of fruit punch of berry pomegranate Mio into a Malibu mojito.
The Process.
These are drinks that I have tried as a result of the class and my index cards. Quite a number of these were tried at Samantha's graduation party where her elder female relatives were impressed with the drinks. They enjoyed my 3x5 cards and kept passing my drinks around. I had to keep ordering more as my drinks kept disappearing into the fists of aunties and step mothers. Those with an * are among my favorites. The Malibu mojito and gimlet are my favorites right now.
- *7&7
- Rum and coke
- Old Fashioned
- Bloody Maria (Bloody Mary with tequila instead of vodka)
- Red Snapper (Bloody Mary with gin instead of vodka)
- Greyhound
- *Salty Dog
- Harvey Wallbanger
- Tequila Sunrise
- Sea Breeze
- Bay Breeze
- Sex on the Beach
- Slow Screw
- Tootsi Roll
- Banshee/Gorilla Fart/Gorilla Tit
- Pink Squirrel
- B&B
- French Connection
- Dirty Mother
- **Gimlet
- *Vodka Gimlet
- Rootbeer Float
- Long Island Iced Tea
- *Mojito
- **Malibu Mojito
The Future.
Pretty sure this is obvious: keep trying new drinks. As you can see from the list above, I have avoided the martinis and cream based drinks. It seems like I should make a move. :)
Unrelated side note: I am having terrible difficulty with the spacing in my posts. I left my last blog for a similar reason. The spacing does not have to do with the pictures (e.g. there are no pictures under the "The Process section, yet it is double spaced). Google searches have not been helpful. If you know of any solutions please let me know.
Unrelated side note: I am having terrible difficulty with the spacing in my posts. I left my last blog for a similar reason. The spacing does not have to do with the pictures (e.g. there are no pictures under the "The Process section, yet it is double spaced). Google searches have not been helpful. If you know of any solutions please let me know.






Love your openness to new things!! I wanna try these drinks!
ReplyDelete:) Thanks! Hey are you coming to the wine and food thing on Friday (tomorrow?)
ReplyDelete